Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: OK, so... did anyone, hand on heart, back Ireland?

OK, so... did anyone, hand on heart, back Ireland? 02 Mar 2011 23:41 #1

• Bad Penny
  • Beginner
I certainly didn't, nor did I see it coming.

Having said that, Ireland are clearly the best of the Association teams, and should have come out in front against Bangladesh.

This was almost as thrilling as England vs India. I quite like the fact that, in utterly different circumstances, England seem to be providing the fireworks in the damp squid that is the early rounds of this awfully drawn out competition.

I still think England have an outside (VERY outside) chance of winning. The injuries are a concern though. Because of the format, unless there are other serious mishaps, qualification should not be a problem. Collingwood, as tremendous a servant as he has been to English cricket, is seriously beginning to worry me though. But ultimately it was the bowlers who failed today. England should have had no problem defending that total. Swann apart, we are looking quite tired.

Re: OK, so... did anyone, hand on heart, back Ireland? 02 Mar 2011 23:46 #2

• BonusBetting
  • Administrator
  • BB Admin
I wish I had, at 25-1!

I only watched the last couple of hours, but I'm glad I did. A well-deserved win.

Ireland have been cut from 500-1 to 250-1 to win the tournament. Impossible? Well, I would have said that about this match...

Re: OK, so... did anyone, hand on heart, back Ireland? 02 Mar 2011 23:49 #3

I was in the Caribbean for Ireland's last big cricket world cup win vs. Bangladesh in 2007 - they'd already beaten Pakistan to qualify for the Super 8s. A lot of the side that played today were there, showing a great deal of potential, but I'd never have predicted today's result.

I heard on the TV that Ireland were out to 400/1 after losing their first wicket, I'd imagine they traded even bigger on Betfair... I'd not have touched them at any price. Definitely worrying for England, hopefully they will raise their game as the tournament continues - I was hoping for another month's worth of entertainment!

Re: OK, so... did anyone, hand on heart, back Ireland? 03 Mar 2011 00:00 #4

• BonusBetting
  • Administrator
  • BB Admin
Hopefully the shock will help them raise their game - there's a way to go yet.
I saw Strauss talking about it afterwards, he blamed it on poor fielding. Mind you, he dropped one of the 4 dropped catches.

All credit to O'Brien for the fastest century in world cup history.
Ireland needed a bit of good news!

Re: OK, so... did anyone, hand on heart, back Ireland? 03 Mar 2011 01:10 #5

• Bad Penny
  • Beginner
O'Brien's century was fantastic.

I really think this is all good for the game, especially as the early rounds were radpidly descending into farce otherwise (Malinga versus Kenya a no-contest).

A good wake-up call for England, but thoroughly deserved Ireland. That was one massive total to chase down given the pedigree of the bowling attack (and I do think that, pound for pound, England possesses one of the better attacks in this WC)

The whole tournament feels more alive now.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.29 seconds

About Bonus Betting

We're here to help you compare the best betting offers, odds, free bets and bonuses.

With strong competition between online bookmakers, it pays to play the field!

Safety and Security

All offers and sites featured at Bonus Betting have secure payment systems and are licensed and regulated in jurisdictions on the UK's 'Whitelist' for online betting sites.

Bet Responsibly

Online betting is best enjoyed in moderation. Never gamble with money you cannot afford to lose.

For advice and information on problem gambling, please visit Gamcare or Gamble Aware.

Over 18s only   GamCare    
© BonusBetting.co.uk 2014